Tuesday, November 24, 2015

SMALL TOWN: A merchant does a good deed

A Tilda reader who wants to remain anonymous was kind enough to share this delightful story with me:

I wanted to relate an experience I had yesterday shopping in the Borough of Kennett Square.  I popped into Bedbugzzz to pick up a gift for a newborn baby and parked outside the store.  I put money in the meter and did overstay my time there and received a ticket for this violation in the amount of $20 (twenty dollars!!!). 
The irony is that while I was making my selections (just shy of $150) and the helpful sales associate wrapped the gift, I shared that I'd looked at a baby boutique in Greenville, Delaware, and found its inventory wasn't more interesting or better priced than Bedbugzzz so I opted to return to Kennett to purchase the gift and support our stores in town. 
I was angry and disappointed at the outcome but had another stop to make at STATE AND UNION.  While purchasing items there, I laid the ticket on the counter to access my wallet.  The proprietor, Doug Harris, noticed the ticket and asked if I'd just received it.  My answer and explanation followed and he did the most amazing thing. 
Wanting me to feel good about shopping in Kennett and to smooth my ruffled feathers, Doug insisted on taking the ticket to pay my fine.  Although I protested his courtesy, he prevailed in absorbing my anxiety and the $20 ticket. 
That is the pleasure of our small town shopping and forward thinking of the merchants.  Please consider supporting our local merchants every day, not just on the upcoming Small Business Day, November 28th. As for the borough meters... 

1 comment: