Saturday, November 28, 2015

LIGHTS: She doesn't love a parade

So there I was at the Kennett Y on Friday evening, looking out the windows forlornly and watching tractors and farm equipment festooned with strings of lights getting lined up for Kennett's annual Holiday Light Parade down State Street.
I opted to miss the parade only because the Friday night gym class is one of my absolute favorites. It caused me pain to see Chris Barber's wonderful photos of the parade online (doubtless you'll see them elsewhere in the paper this week, too).
One woman in my gym class had no such regrets, though: She hates parades, she announced.
I stared at her, speechless at this heresy. She explained that as a child, she and her family went on vacation to Disney World, and her older siblings got to ride the rides but she was only allowed to watch the parade. Ever since, she has loathed parades.
"What's the point?" she said, with great animation. "You stand there and wave at people. 'I don't know you, but hi there! Hi!'"
I told her she really needs to come and watch one of Kennett Square's blockbuster Memorial Day parades. If that doesn't change her opinion, nothing will.

No comments:

Post a Comment