Sunday, April 16, 2017

FRAUD: Be careful out there

On Saturday night, just as I was thinking about heading to bed, I received a text saying that my main credit card had been used to make a payment of 55 cents at the "PHLLPSBRGINN" (I'm assuming that's the Phillipsburg Inn). My credit-card company's algorithms had flagged this as a "nibble" by some scam artist to see if the account was valid.
Rather than responding to the text (just in case it, too, wasn't legitimate), I phoned the company and they closed the account. I thanked them for letting me know so quickly.
Two questions:
1. Who on earth makes a credit-card payment of 55 cents?
2. And where is the Phillipsburg Inn? There's one on Route 22 in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. An online review said it was "without question" the worst hotel the reviewer had ever stayed at.

No comments:

Post a Comment