Thursday, January 13, 2011

Careful with that wrench, Eugene

Those of you who grew up in the 1970s will doubtless recall listening to Pink Floyd, loudly, either through headphones while sulking in your room or grooving with your pals on a worn-out sofa in somebody's rec room.
I decided to give "Meddle" a listen after many years. You may recall (but probably not) the 23-minute piece "Echoes." It consists of trippy electric organ and guitar noodling and lots of electronic and real bird chirps, and toward the end they add these "plink" noises. Plink...a few seconds...plink....a few seconds...plink plonk.
All I could think of was the leaky bathroom faucet that I really should see to.
I am getting so old.
(Extra-credit question: What body part does the cover photo depict?)

1 comment:

  1. My favorite! I always imagined that it was the Floyd's take on "The Ryme of the Ancient Mariner." All that albatross stuff.

    ReplyDelete