Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Altogether spooky

When I was a kid in the early 1960s, I loved the TV show "The Addams Family." Based on characters created by cartoonist Charles Addams, it was about a loving, happy, and quite eccentric family.
Last fall I said to a young member of my family that if he didn't get a haircut soon, he would start to look like Cousin Itt. He gave me a blank look.
Well, I decided then and there, this cannot be. No child should grow up ignorant of Cousin Itt, and Lurch, and Thing, and Cleopatra the carnivorous plant. I bought the DVD set as a Christmas present and waited with some trepidation for the verdict, worried that the simple black-and-white series would seem hopelessly quaint to a youngster raised on Wii and high-tech computer games.
I needn't have worried. He LOVES the program. He didn't want to watch the Eagles in the playoffs on Sunday afternoon. No, he wanted us to watch "The Addams Family." He has taken to quizzing me on Addams Family trivia (What is Pugsley's pet?), says "You Rang?" and snaps his fingers at the drop of a hat, and couldn't wait to tell me that he knew the answer to the "Jeopardy!" question about who could light up a light bulb in his mouth (Uncle Fester).
There is hope for the next generation.
Oh, and by the way: is Thing left-handed or right-handed?

No comments:

Post a Comment