Friday, September 23, 2011

Big picture

When it comes to Chester County geography, I'm pretty sharp. But cross the line into New Castle County, Delaware, and it's a different story.
I can get to the Delaware location I want from Unionville just fine, but I don't have an overall mental picture of where First State places are in relation to each other, much less how to get from one to the other.
For instance, a friend said her new employer is near the intersection of Dupont Road and Route 48. OK. I could get there just fine: take Route 52 almost to Tower Hill and then hang a right. But until I looked on the atlas, I didn't realize how close that was to Greenville and Route 141, because I usually approach that area by taking Route 41 to Hockessin and then Route 48.
(And by the way, calling Route 48 "Lancaster Pike" doesn't help matters. That means Route 30 to a Pennsylvania native like me.)
I was glad to see that others share this blind spot. A very brainy Unionville grad said she even has difficulty getting from the Wilmington train station to the Concord Mall without returning to her home in Kennett!
(And speaking of things Delaware, happy eighth birthday to Susan Teiser's Centreville Cafe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment