Friday, September 23, 2011

They heard him

At lunch on Friday a friend told me a Verizon story with a happy ending.
The phones in his elderly father's house outside Coatesville suddenly went dead. The father went to a neighbor's house and called Verizon but got nothing but the automated menu, so he phoned his son for help. My friend got the same menu but kept pushing "O" for "operator" and after 20 minutes got through to a real person. Unfortunately, the operator said he was sorry, but no one was available to do a repair for several days.
"So if my father has a medical emergency and needs help, you'll be responsible?" said my friend. ("Hey, I had 20 minutes to come up with a good line," he explained to me.)
The operator promptly transferred him to a sympathetic supervisor, who not only sent a repairman out that very day but also called both my friend and his father back to make sure everything had been done to their satisfaction. The repairman even took out an old connection that was impairing the quality of the line!
Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment