Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Newlyweds

I was walking to my car in a parking lot the other day and saw a pickup truck with "Happy Ever After" written in big blue letters on the back window. Aww, I thought, how sweet; that must've been the car that the bride and groom drove off in after the wedding.
I can tell you this: the honeymoon is over.
The wife was unloading the kids from the truck while shrieking at the husband, using a fluent stream of profanity. She made it very plain to everyone in earshot that she is not happy about being pregnant again, did not want to be sick and miss her own wedding, and does not appreciate the husband making her feel awful.
I didn't hear the husband's replies -- if he even got a chance to say anything.
It was a little depressing.
I mentioned this to a lawyer friend of mine, who promptly cited a case in which a man was arrested for violating a local law (she wasn't sure of the state) that banned cursing in front of minors; he uttered a curse word after his canoe tipped over. He was convicted but won on appeal on First Amendment grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment