Thursday, September 22, 2011

Taking action

I took a three-hour First Aid/CPR/AED class last night at the Exelon office building. It was excellent, and I appreciated the variety of methods that Glenn, the American Red Cross instructor, used: lecture, videos, discussion, demonstrations and actual practice using class members and mannequins.
One thing the instructor stressed was the importance of recognizing that an emergency exists and taking action. I think a lot of us are so used to being spectators -- we grew up watching TV, after all -- that we see ourselves as bystanders rather than as participants in what's going on.
I noticed that when I was fence-judging last week. When a horse fell at my fence, it took me a split second to realize that I wasn't sitting at home watching sports on TV; it was my responsibility to get up and do something.
By the way, just FYI, the Red Cross certification is good for two years now instead of only one year. Also, check out whether your health-insurance plan covers the cost of the course ($71). Mine did.

No comments:

Post a Comment