Monday, May 28, 2012

The parade

I just got home from another wonderful Memorial Day parade in Kennett Square. I'm sure you will see lots of great photos of it elsewhere in these pages. Fire trucks, Scouts, tractors, military vehicles, antique cars, high-school bands, bagpipers, military re-enactors, politicians, church groups, youth groups, service clubs, local businesses, the Ferko string band from Philadelphia, motorcyclists, penny-farthing bicyclists (it was so cool to watch them dismounting!), a unicyclist, an Uncle Sam on stilts, and most importantly: veterans.
I spotted the Young Relative marching with his Scout group and went out to give him a hug and say hi.
"Oh, I'll bet he liked that," one of my companions kidded me. I told her I had no choice; it's in my job description.
My friends got there early and saved our traditional spot along the sidewalk on the shady east side of North Union Street, a great vantage point. They brought flags for all of us to wave.
Although there was a heat warning in place, it was perfectly pleasant throughout the morning -- for us spectators, at least; I'm sure the military re-enactors in their wool uniforms would disagree.
Two of my pals got especially jazzed up seeing the giant military vehicles with heavy-duty tires, which would have no problem getting up or down their vertiginous driveway even after an ice storm.
"This," declared one friend, "is the best small-town parade in America." And she may well be correct. Huzzah to the organizer, Bill Taylor!

No comments:

Post a Comment