Sunday, April 14, 2013

TT loves HP

Much to my surprise and relief, learning how to use my new computer has not been bad at all. In fact, I've actually enjoyed the learning curve.
My old Compaq 2003 laptop was still serviceable -- if the butt of jokes from friends and family -- but it was past its peak: it was getting a little slow, the sound card hadn't worked for years, and an increasing number of my files for work just didn't seem to like opening up in Word 97 anymore.
So while I had a week between projects, I went to Staples and bought an HP All-in-One PC with Windows 8 and Word 2013. As soon as they finished transferring over my old data, I took it home, set it up immediately and devoted the next two days to figuring out the various icons, "tiles" and "charms and learning the new Word functions (new to me, at least!).
With my learning style, I would have appreciated having a manual spelling out where to find things ("This is where your photos were on your old system. Here's where they are now"), but instead you have to just play around and experiment. That part gets a bit frustrating -- until you happen upon a shortcut or a new function that you realize will save you lots of time.
One problem that quickly cropped up was that the new version of Word I bought didn't have Outlook, which is what I used to use for email. Then I remembered that I didn't really need Outlook; I could just get my email directly from Verizon's website. Yes! OK, yes, I lost all my saved emails and email addresses while doing so, but the important people write to me all the time anyway, or I can get their contact information online. Spring cleaning!
I was almost certain my little Olympus camera wouldn't sync with the new computer. I envisioned trying to find the camera's instruction manual, circa 2002, and the software that came with it. No need: the camera linked automatically.
The new computer is so sharp-looking, with its big screen (I actually had to de-brighten it), and everything is so well organized. With my old computer, the space under my old Ikea desk was clogged with peripherals and power cords. Now, there's only a footstool. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment