Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Red states

The American Red Cross came out to the KOA Campground in Embreeville this afternoon for a blood drive, and I was one of those who donated (nothing new; I've been opening my veins for 30 years). The previous time my blood flow was a little sluggish, so I'd been advised to drink a lot of water beforehand. I asked my friends to offer frequent reminders during the day, and Susan F. complied with gusto, both online and in person (yes, that was she yelling "Drink your water!" when she spotted me on Center Street in Kennett).

For two days I avoided coffee (it's dehydrating) and downed many glasses of water, and it worked: almost before I knew it I'd given my full pint, and after eating some pretzels and drinking yet another bottle of water I was outta there.
The poor person who gets my blood! He or she may well experience an unexpected boost in curiosity, a tendency to use British slang and a new love for pancakes (without syrup, thank you).
Seriously, though: think about signing up next time. Attendance at the blood drive was not great, and unless you've seen it, you wouldn't believe the amazing improvement that a unit of blood makes for an anemic cancer patient.
The photo shows the sticker they give you after you donate; I always wear mine proudly the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment