Saturday, March 15, 2014

Brown sugar

This item has nothing to do with Unionville at all, other than it saved me from an unexpected trip to the grocery store this afternoon. I rarely use brown sugar in my baking, so when I went to make a batch of chocolate-chip cookies today, the brown sugar in the pantry consisted of three large, diamond-hard clumps. I vaguely remembered some old hint that you could soften brown sugar using a slice of apple; alas, I didn't have an apple. I'd tried grating the clumps previously and that hadn't worked out well at all.
So I tried the hint on the side of the brown-sugar box -- and it worked great. Put the hardened sugar in a Tupperware-clone dish and cover it with damp paper towels. Seal the lid. Nuke it for 30 seconds and try unclumping it with a fork (it'll be hot). If needed, nuke for another 30 seconds. It took a total of a minute for the sugar to crumble.
(I hear that the questions on the SAT college-entrance exams are being revamped to make them more relevant. Perhaps useful information like this might be added?)

No comments:

Post a Comment