Sunday, November 13, 2016

NEW BAND: Meryl and the Magnetics

It was a very musical week for your columnist. All three concerts I went to were so good, in their own way, that I'm writing about all of them; please humor me.
Any bookers who are looking for fresh musical talent should check out the trio Meryl and the Magnetics. We saw online that they were performing on Saturday, Nov. 12, at the Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church on Route 52 across from Winterthur and decided, on a whim, to go.
Wow, I am so glad we did! It turns out it was their very first full concert together, and they were astonishingly talented. Their repertoire was all over the map: ballads, rock, jazz, instrumentals, solos, and a trio of original art songs honoring Josephine Baker, and hymns.  
Just when I thought, "I would love to hear her do a standard," Meryl sang the beautiful classic "Autumn Leaves." I was entranced with her voice.
The band comprises Meryl Joan Lammers (vocals, flute, guitar, maracas; she's also a music therapist), Chris Braddock (bass guitar, guitar and dobro), and Paul Boris (keyboards). I could easily see them being a big hit at the summer concert series at the Myrick Center or Anson B. Nixon Park.
At intermission the church pastor, the Rev. David Lovelace, graciously gave us a little behind-the-scenes tour of the beautiful church after we went up to him and asked him why there was a mirror hanging on one side of the choir area. (It seems the organist also directs the singers and hence needs a good sightline.)
After the show I was delighted to run into my friends of many years Mary Nell and Brownell Ferry from Kennett Square. How nice it was to see them and hear they are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment