Friday, December 23, 2016

DEVICES: A stereotype revealed

We tend to think of younger people as the natural experts on electronic devices, whereas those of us who grew up in those dark days before cell phones and the Internet sometimes struggle.
But that, of course, is not always the case.
Yesterday afternoon I was at Foxy Loxy in Unionville drinking hot chocolate and catching up with a friend (and laughing, I am sure, far too loudly) when an older woman came in with a middle-aged man and woman (I'm assuming son and daughter, or son-in-law, or daughter-in-law).
They were talking about current movies, and the older woman pulled out her phone and spoke to it, asking for information about what was playing in the cinemas near Bryn Mawr. I looked over at her daughter or daughter-in-law in amazement.
"I know," she said. "I still have a flip phone."

No comments:

Post a Comment