Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Phlebotomy

First thing this morning I went for my yearly routine lab tests at the Quest Diagnostics lab in the little shopping center to the east of the Kennett Wal-Mart. Because some of the "normal" values they compare your numbers to are calculated based on fasting levels, you're not supposed to eat breakfast before you go in. So I didn't and I was really missing my bowl of cereal, having had only a salad for dinner some 14 hours earlier.
So what was the first thing the lab tech said to me?
"Wow, is my stomach rumbling! I only had a bagel for breakfast."
I burst out laughing.
"Uh, guess what: you're not gonna get any sympathy from me," I said.
She realized that hadn't been the most tactful remark, and she chuckled and apologized.
But what's impressive is that during this conversation, she'd already poked my arm without hurting me one bit and extracted the two vials needed. Honestly, I barely noticed.

2 comments:

  1. hmm, is there a new person there? the last two times i went the tech was really grumpy, plus not so great about drawing blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, I've had ouchy experiences there before, but this woman was really good! I think her name was Kathy.
    Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete