Friday, October 28, 2011

A winner

In high school, at the end of senior year, I won the Future Homemaker of the Year award. This brought howls of laughter and much ribbing from my friends, as (back then) I didn't plan meals, cook, sew, clean, select upholstery fabric, or watch kids.

The only reason I took the qualifying test was that it got me out of calculus class one morning. As I recall it was mostly questions about how many rolls of wallpaper you'd need to cover such-and-such amount of wall space. I think there was an essay question about the modern American family, which I'm sure I batted out of the park. When I won, the girls who'd spent most of their high-school years perfecting their homemaking arts in the home-ec suite were not at all happy.
Well, maybe there was something more predictive about this award than I thought. For one, I'm about to share with you a great recipe for lemon cookies. I made them for a reception yesterday afternoon and people were literally stuffing them in their pockets.
Ready?
Buy a box of Krusteaz Lemon Bars Supreme Mix. Follow the instructions for lemon crisps on the side panel. Use local eggs, melt the two sticks of butter first, and use bare, ungreased cookie sheets. I even omitted the rolling-in-granulated-sugar part and they were still fantastic.
(Thanks for Corky, Chase and Kevin's mommy for this great idea!)


No comments:

Post a Comment