Thursday, October 14, 2010

Stink bug roundup

(1) People are coming up with some medieval-sounding concoctions to ward them off. I've heard of brews containing bleach, cayenne pepper (boiled in a coffee filter), WD-40 and Dawn dish soap.
(2) My little Oreck vacuum died. This past month it has done an absolute yeoman's duty of sucking up stink bugs, and I blame them for its demise; it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that I've had it since the millennium. When I bought a new one, the sales guy asked if I wanted some charcoal-lined odor-fighting bags. I said yes without even asking the price.
(3) I remarked to a visitor, with great relief, that the stink bug population seems to be lessening inside my house. He gave me a quizzical look and wordlessly pointed to a few crawling on the ceiling and the windowsills and the doorjamb. "But that's nothing," I said. What does he know? He lives in a tight, modern, non-Unionville house; to him, this was an infestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment