Friday, January 21, 2011

Power shift

Wow, did we dodge a bullet this afternoon (Jan. 21). The temperatures had been dropping to well below freezing and the wind had been picking up since lunchtime, and bang: the power went out at about 3 p.m. I think there was probably a car accident, or a tree fell on the wires. I called PECO to report the outage and the automated voice said that 51 customers were affected, and power should be back on by 6:30 p.m.
At about 4:30 I was just thinking about heading out to Starbucks for the duration when -- wonder of wonders! -- I heard my printer start up and saw the digital clock flashing. Back to normal!
Living without power is awful at any time of the year -- no cooking, no water, no computer for work or e-mail or the Internet -- but in the winter it's especially nasty because it gets dark so early, and I have electric heat. Even with my Aladdin oil lamp burning, it had dropped to 58 degrees inside by the time the power came back on.
Thank you for the quick repair, PECO!
Earlier in the week, lots of folks lost power late Tuesday afternoon in the wake of some motor vehicle accidents near Willowdale. I'm told that Route 82 was shut down between the high school and Route 926.

No comments:

Post a Comment