Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Skeleton stuff

The Unionville-Chadds Ford School District is going through some tough times: labor unrest, difficult decisions about outsourcing bussing and food service, drastic funding cuts. But on the front lines of teaching and learning, amazing things are happening every day.
During dinner the other night, an elementary-school member of my family told me that in health class, he was learning all about bones.
I started quizzing him about the common and Latin names of bones. What's the thigh bone? How did the "funny bone" get its name? What's a greenstick fracture?
Try as I might, I could not stump this kid. He knew them all: femur, humerus, vertebrae, clavicle, cranium. He even knew how to spell them! Best of all, he corrected me when I mixed up mandible and maxilla.
He gets an A+ in my book -- and so do his teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment