Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On the roof

Somebody on Facebook mentioned that the top level of the Kennett Square parking garage provides a primo perch for watching Longwood's fireworks.
This seriously piqued my interest. But none of my friends was at all interested in making the expedition (they're a stodgy lot), so at dusk on the evening of Sunday, July 3, I headed into town by myself. After a stop at La Michoacana for a small dish of Brownie Delight ice cream, I walked over to the parking garage and by 9 p.m. was up on the roof, on eye level with the town clock and the air-conditioning unit for the Genesis building.
Probably 30 fireworks enthusiasts were already there, babies, energetic kids, teenagers, parents, grandparents and a contingent of lively folks in their 20s who, I got the feeling, were just starting out their evening.
We got an amazing view of not only the Longwood fireworks, but the displays coming from every direction, close and far away. You could rotate a quarter-turn every 10 seconds and view a different burst of color.
It was great, but I have to say, I missed the noise. The few miles between Longwood and Kennett were enough to mute all but the loudest booms.

No comments:

Post a Comment