Monday, February 20, 2012

Birdland

I had high hopes that some exotic species would show up in my backyard during the annual Great Backyard Bird Count last weekend, but it didn't happen. I recorded the usual suspects: juncos, nuthatches, chickadees, woodpeckers, cardinals, mourning doves. I was pleased to see both a male and female downy woodpecker, and I don't usually see red-winged blackbirds in the backyard. I was sorry to read that our Outdoors columnist Lisa didn't have much of a turnout of birds -- I guess they were all over here, Lisa!
Of course, just after doing my final backyard count I spotted more Canada geese than I could count by a pond near Doe Run, and on Apple Grove Road a beautiful bluebird flew right in front of me. But you'd have to be one churlish person to complain about seeing a bluebird under any circumstances.
If you haven't sent in your tallies yet, the deadline is March 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment