Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hey hey

The other day I was in Barnes & Noble in Exton and Monkees songs were being played on the store's PA system. I hadn't heard some of these songs in 40 years -- "Stepping Stone," "I Wanna Be Free," "Pleasant Valley Sunday" -- but I remembered every word of the lyrics like I had heard them yesterday. Amazing what sticks in our brains!
I didn't realize that Monkee Davy Jones, who died Feb. 29, was an avid horse person: he worked as a jockey in his pre-Monkee days and actually suffered his fatal heart attack in his stable. There's a memorial show at the B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in Manhattan on April 3, and according to the website "all proceeds and donations from the show will go toward the Davy Jones Equine Memorial Fund for the care of the horses he loved."

No comments:

Post a Comment