Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Feel the heat

As I'm writing this, the little Weather Channel icon on my phone is red instead of its normal blue; it seems a heat warning has been issued for the next few days, and temps are supposed to be in the upper 90s.
I'm not sure what I can do with this unpleasant information. When you get advance notice that a snowstorm is coming (if you even believe the hype anymore), you can stock up on food and entertainment -- but what, really, can you do to prepare for a heat wave? I suppose if you planned to resurface the driveway or take the kids to Dutch Wonderland you might want to rethink that.
Update: Day 1 (Wednesday) wasn't bad at all. It got up to 92 outside according to my Weather Channel wireless thermometer, but with the ceiling fan on it was comfortable inside for man and beast. I did splurge on an iced drink at the Starbucks in West Chester.
Day 2 (Thursday): Again, I didn't think it wasn't bad, although the peanut butter was rather soupy, and I certainly did enjoy taking a late-afternoon dip in a friend's pool. It got up to 92, hardly the 97 they were predicting, and I even sat out on the deck and read the paper.
And just for some perspective, there was a photo going around online during the heat wave showing a soldier in the desert. The caption: "I was going to complain about the heat today, but then I realized: It isn't 120 degrees. I'm not 5,700 miles from home. I'm not dressed in full uniform. I'm not carrying 70+ pounds of gear. And there is little chance of my driving over a bomb today. Thanks to all who serve."

No comments:

Post a Comment