Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Get Smart

Have you seen those tiny Smart cars?
There's certainly a lot to recommend them -- fuel efficiency, ease of parking -- and my friend George owns one and is urging me to consider getting one, too.
The thing is, George lives in England, in an apartment with no garden, and goes to the grocery store a few times a week. I can't imagine relying on one as your sole vehicle if you buy more than two bags of groceries at a time (I don't think you'll see many Smart cars in the BJ's parking lot) or if you make any purchases at the garden center or the feed store. Or if you need to carry more than one passenger at a time, for that matter.
I'm not sure how well they would fare out here in the country. "It would be run over by farm equipment," commented one observer. And I was behind one on Route 82 the other day and it was doing 10 miles under the speed limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment