Wednesday, October 3, 2012

OK, maybe not

When I go to the post office, Starbucks, the Giant or even West Chester, odds are really good that I'll run into someone I know. This seems perfectly natural to me.
So yesterday, I was watching the Eagles game with the Young Relative and they were showing closeups of the crowd at Lincoln Financial Field.
"Oooo!" said I. "Let's see if we know anyone."
The Young Relative rolled his eyes.
"Tilda," he said with a sigh. "It's Philadelphia, NOT Unionville."
I was sharing this story with a woman who is a transplant from a small town in Indiana to Elkton, Maryland, by way of the Main Line, and she pointed out how valuable and uncommon that sense of community connectedness is these days. She said she misses it sorely and urged me not to take it for granted.
I won't! I felt it when I went to the Denim & Diamonds fundraiser at the Unionville Community Fair on Thursday evening: I knew my "Fair friends" would be there, and it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't know anybody.
Sure enough, D&D was a fun party with great food by Triple Fresh Catering (shots of pumpkin soup, mini crabcakes, terrific vegetables, green salad with blackberries and strawberries, mashed potatoes, cooked-to-order pasta, chicken and pork sandwiches, and assorted desserts). 

No comments:

Post a Comment