Friday, November 9, 2012

Pie day

A pal and I were running errands in the Thorndale area the other afternoon and my stomach started rumbling a bit. It's my friend's old stomping-grounds (she used to live in East Fallowfield Township), so she recommended the Double D Diner on East Lincoln Highway, where the road goes over the railroad tracks just east of Coatesville.
Great diner! We had coffee and delicious pie (pumpkin for her, cherry for me), ran into my mechanic buddy Fred, who was taking a break from his Modena garage to grab a late lunch, and chatted with some lovely retired ladies who were regulars.
Out of habit, my friend found herself reaching for her uneaten pie crust as if to toss it under the table; she shares her home with three dogs and they are always looking for handouts around mealtime.
She quickly realized what she was about to do and started laughing.
"You know," she said, "I really, really need to get out more."

No comments:

Post a Comment