Friday, January 11, 2013

The Coffee Party

This afternoon I was having coffee at the Kennett Starbucks with a pal when my phone rang and I answered. It was a chronically cranky Kennett friend of mine, and over the hubbub at the coffee shop I could hear him say that he needed to apologize for a silly misunderstanding we had had.
I told him that was nice, but I could barely hear him because I was at Starbucks and it was jammed.
"Oh! I can't apologize if you're in a Republican place!" he said.
I didn't understand this at all: he's a staunch Democrat, certainly, but he's also a Starbucks fan.
"You can't apologize because I'm in a Republican place?!" I said, in some confusion.
"Public! PUBLIC!" he said, loudly enough that my friend across the table could hear. And at this point she was roaring with laughter, which is good, as I was trying to cheer her up.
Cranky friend and I decided we'd better talk later, in a quieter setting, lest we generate another misunderstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment