Friday, May 1, 2015

SUMMER CAMP: Sometimes it's easier just to write a check

Krysta, one of our Kennett YMCA instructors, is such a good sport! She teaches a terrific exercise class that I attend on Friday evenings that always includes a ridiculously large number of pushups (an exercise that never, EVER gets any easier; how can that be?).
When she mentioned that she was helping to raise money to enable underprivileged kids to attend the Y's summer camp, I had the zany idea of volunteering to donate $1 per pushup that I didn't have to do. Another pushup-despising classmate immediately said she'd join me in the scheme.
Krysta jumped at the chance. And when the pushup part of the class arrived, my friend and I made a big deal out of watching her like a hawk and counting out loud so she wasn't tempted to slack off.
"WOW, did you feel that?" she asked the class after one set that looked brutal.
My friend and I looked at each other: "No," we had the pleasure of saying. "We really didn't."
By the end of class she had done a total of 50 pushups. We each wrote a check for $50, and I saw other generous classmates chipping in as well.
I'm sure there's a sports metaphor for a win/win/win situation like this: We got out of doing pushups, we had the fun of watching our instructor do them -- and some kids get to go to the Y's excellent summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment