Sunday, March 12, 2017

BANQUET: Fellowship and firearms

Saturday night we attended the annual Chester County Friends of the National Rifle Association banquet. I don't think I've ever seen so many tables packed into the Red Clay Room, and there was not an empty seat. Among the guests were East Marlborough Police Chief Robert "Clarkie" Clark, Chester County Sheriff Carolyn "Bunny" Welsh, State Rep. Becky Corbin (who represents the Exton and Lionville area), and at least two candidates for the district court seat in Kennett now held by Dan Maisano.
The wait staff, working at top speed to tend to so many people, was a little too efficient in our case. While we were going through the buffet line they cleared our salad and bread-and-butter plates and cutlery, so we returned with plates full of prime rib to find . . .  no knives on the table. Fortunately I always carry a good sharp pocket knife in my purse, so I pulled it out, cut up my meat and then shared the knife with my neighbors. Others at the table just ate caveman style (but very neatly). It's hard to disconcert this crowd.
The whole point of the NRA dinner is to raise money, and they do so very skillfully by selling chances on a number of popular firearms arranged around the room. The winning tickets are drawn throughout the evening and announced. No one at our table won anything this year (unlike last year), but it was amusing anyway to hear the shouts of joy from other winners. I noticed that two men won at least two guns each -- what are the odds?!

No comments:

Post a Comment