Sunday, April 22, 2018

TIME TRAVEL: A book report

If you're looking for a great read, get a copy of Stephen King's novel "11/22/63." I finished it last night and enjoyed it more than I have any book in a long time. In the 2011 novel, schoolteacher Jake Epping goes back in time to 1958 (through a portal tucked away in a diner) to try to prevent President Kennedy's assassination and a few other tragedies along the way.
I loved the way that Jake noticed and tried to adapt to the 1950s and early 1960s in terms of cars, clothes, language, music and morals; one time he forgot himself and belted out "Honky-Tonk Woman," raising his girlfriend Sadie's suspicions. He doesn't miss computers or the internet at all -- though his cell phone certainly could have come in handy.
I hadn't read any Stephen King books since "Salem's Lot," many years ago, and had my doubts when a dear friend started raving about "11/22/63." I was quickly drawn in.
Although the book is 850 pages long, you'll have no trouble keeping the characters or the plot straight. It's a terrific, suspenseful page-turner and kept me enthralled throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment