Tuesday, November 20, 2018

HORTICULTURE 1: A good read

A few months ago an old friend shared the sad news that he had lost both his wife and his brother-in-law in short order. Since then I've been making a point of keeping in touch with him.
Knowing of his interest in gardening, history and books, I recommended to him Elizabeth Gilbert's "The Signature of All Things," which I'd just started reading. It's a novel about the family of a horticulturalist in colonial Philadelphia. 
The day after I sent my enthusiastic recommendation, the book took an abrupt and wholly unexpected turn: the daughter of the family discovers there is more to life than stamens and pistils.
So what do you think: should I warn my friend that there's more to this book than pampering exotic orchids and distilling quinine?

No comments:

Post a Comment