Thursday, January 31, 2019

GIANT: The digital age

Between the predicted snow and a major sporting/social event, the New Garden Giant was very busy on a recent Sunday, and, as often happens when they are overloaded, the self-service machines were acting up. As instructed, I'd moved my bananas into my shopping bag, but the fickle machine refused to acknowledge that I had done so. And it really wasn't happy with me when I shifted my groceries around in the bagging area (which, by the way, is wholly inadequate if you bring your own bags).
At the next register was a minister, all in black except for his white clerical collar, who had apparently been tasked with buying pies for a large church function, as his shopping cart was full of them. He too was having U-Scan issues and was looking around with confusion.
"Father," I said to him (hoping that was the right form of address), "If you're having problems, what hope is there for the rest of us?" 
He let out a huge laugh and gave me a really quite amazing smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment