Thursday, January 10, 2019

WEST MARLBOROUGH: Dominion of the birds

I've had several wonderful bird sightings in the past week. I spotted two bald eagles soaring over Route 842, just east of Upland Corner, on a brilliantly sunny Sunday afternoon.
"Wait. Those are definitely not vultures!" I said to myself, then pulled over to gawk and marvel at the magnificent birds. (A waggish friend suggests that the local football team of the same name always sends them out on game day.)
A huge great blue heron was probing a water-filled ditch along Apple Grove Road as I drove by on the way to breakfast the other morning. A pair of black-and-white bufflehead ducks have appeared at a friend's pond in Newlin.
And I was driving along Hood Road on a foggy Friday evening when a giant owl swooped out of the mist and in front of my car, wings spread. It happened too quickly for me to note any details for identification purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment