Tuesday, February 26, 2019

UHS: The used-book sale

The PTO's annual used book sale at Unionville High School seemed especially well organized this year. I was there on Saturday morning and volunteers were all over the place consolidating boxes and tidying up the tables of books. I overheard one volunteer asking her supervisor if it was OK that, while working, she was also finding books to buy for herself (it was).
I started my shopping in the CD and DVD section and within minutes had my arms full. An observant volunteer came up to me and offered me two paper bags, thoughtfully telling me where more were available should I need them. I ended up contributing about $35 to the coffers.
New this year at the sale was a volunteer group, Arts Holding Hands and Hearts (AHHAH), that builds and stocks mini-libraries around Kennett Square. You could donate kids' books to them or you could give them $10 so they could participate in the "bag sale" at the end of the final day. I'm told that the volunteers collecting the books were quite single-minded about stuffing as many books as they could into their bags (which is, after all, the point). 

No comments:

Post a Comment