Thursday, April 11, 2019

NATURE: Spring is here

It's not that it was such a hard winter, but this spring seems especially beautiful, doesn't it? The swaths of daffodils, the hedges of forsythia, the periwinkle, the bloodroots along the roadsides, the squill that pops up out of nowhere -- I'm even happy to see the weeds that I'll be yanking out before too long.
Fiddleheads are just starting to emerge from the lifeless-looking brownish-black "stumps" of ferns. The hellebores were late to bloom this spring but look beautiful now, and I was thrilled to see that the Valerian I planted last year made it through the winter.
My bleeding hearts, motherwort, and hostas are coming up, but there's no sign of the jack in the pulpit in the shade garden quite yet.
When I removed the tarp from my porch furniture and garden "stuff" over the weekend, I found an anise hyssop very much alive in a planter that I thought I'd cleaned out. I knew they were very hardy but that was a surprise.
By the way, Saturday, May 11, is the date for the annual plant sale at London Grove Friends Meeting. Not only do they have great annuals, perennials, herbs and hanging baskets, but it's a highlight of the community's spring social calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment