Wednesday, April 24, 2019

WEST MARLBOROUGH: Honoring Civil War veterans

A West Marlborough neighbor has been quietly looking after the old Mount Olive AME Church cemetery on Upland Road, where several African-American Civil War soldiers are buried.
He has run into a problem and asked me if I could help. It seems there are two massive dead oak trees on the property that need to be taken down. If left to fall on their own, one will hit a house and the other will go across the road. 
He has gotten a quote from tree surgeon Dean Madsen of $3,000 to take down both trees, which he considers more than fair, considering that a crane will need to be brought in.
My neighbor, who wants to remain anonymous, wonders if there is any interest among our wealthy community in helping to fund this project and preserving the historic site and the memory of these brave veterans.
"I just want to get this done," he said.
Please contact me at uvilleblogger@gmail.com and I can put you in touch with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment