Friday, October 4, 2019

THE FAIR: Terrific entries

For years I've run the Youth Baked Goods competition at the Unionville Community Fair, and this year we had the best entries ever. My dedicated volunteer judges took two hours on Thursday morning to assess all the cakes, cupcakes, brownies, candy, muffins and cookies. I got to be the tie-breaker on a few occasions when the quartet couldn't reach consensus. I also pulled rank to sample a rich, moist yellow cake with chocolate icing and peanut butter frosting between the layers. It may have been the best cake I've ever had. Best-of-show honors went to an elementary school girl's ginger snaps that were not only professional-looking but delicious. I take some pride in my ginger snaps, but these were light-years better.
The vegetables and the canned goods contests had impressive numbers of entries this year. In fact, even after my judges had finished, the canned goods judges were still at work, sampling the array of jams, preserves, marmalade, relishes, pickles, preserved fruits, and sauces.
Students from Longwood's professional gardening programs judged the vegetable, flower and house plant contests and carefully pored over the entries, inspecting for insect damage, non-uniform entries and other flaws.
The classroom exhibits were charming. We especially liked an adorable display of woodland creatures made from pine cones and acorns, and "The ABCs of Agriculture" by the London Grove Friends Kindergarten.
It was great to catch up with all of my Fair friends. And the renovated barn looks great: no leaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment