Wednesday, February 26, 2020

UNIONVILLE: Fun at the used book sale

Here's hoping the PTO made lots of money this year from the annual used book sale at Unionville High School. I certainly did my part -- although much to the Dearest Partner's relief I did manage to resist an illustrated book of dermatological maladies.
In the shuffle, some books inevitably get replaced in the wrong location; I spotted a B.F. Skinner paperbook on behaviorism in the middle of the bodice-rippers. I overheard one woman talking to herself as she browsed through the foreign-language books: "Ah! THERE are the Italian ones!" In the "required reading" section, one woman was scanning the table and kept up a one-sided conversation with her friend, chatting about the books she saw (James Michener's "The Drifters" was one) and asking her friend if she had read this one or that one. The friend would just answer "yes" or "no."
One woman had a terrible-sounding cough, which she tried to soothe with a cup of coffee. With worries about flu and coronavirus so prevalent, I noticed people were giving her a wide berth.

No comments:

Post a Comment