Friday, April 3, 2020

GRATITUDE: So very fortunate

I'm looking at my schedule book, which contains little more than crossed-out activities: a bluegrass concert, a submarine commissioning ceremony in Wilmington, the semiannual pancake breakfast at the Masonic Lodge, the Brandywine Hills steeplechase, a dental appointment.
Yet when I think of the people who are out of work, whose businesses are in jeopardy, who are on the front lines caring for the sick ... I realize that for me this whole staying-at-home thing is nothing but a minor inconvenience. 
We have electric power and the Internet. The grocery stores are open, and ice cream is back in stock. We can pick up takeout food from our favorite restaurants. We can keep in touch, work out together, and even "see" each other via Facebook and email and Zoom. I have plenty of editing work to do. 
And the daffodils, tulips, hellebores and bleeding heart are in bloom.
Really, how is this a hardship? (Well, OK, the retirement account is not looking so good, but please, let's not go there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment