Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Great customer service at BB&T Bank

Talk about humbling! 

I'm the treasurer of a small not-for-profit group, and we're in the middle of our annual fund drive. Even in this strange fundraising climate, people are being VERY generous, and we've already received a pile of donation checks. I had a meeting set up so I could hand them over to our bookkeeper for deposit.

The day before the scheduled meeting, the bookkeeper phoned and apologetically told me he was about to undergo emergency gallbladder surgery.

"Does this mean you'll miss our meeting?!" I asked mock-petulantly, making him chuckle despite the circumstances.

So it was up to me to deposit quite a chunk of OPM (other people's money). I could not remember the last time I deposited a check actually inside a bank, much less a few dozen of them. Do you have to endorse each check? Do you need a deposit slip? If so, how do you obtain one? And given COVID, were they even open for walk-in customers? I was full of trepidation. 

Thank goodness for the professionals at the BT&T branch on West Cypress Street in New Garden. I phoned the bank explaining the situation and confessing my utter ignorance, and a reassuring employee named Kessler walked me through the process. Yes, I did need to endorse each check; no, they'd take care of completing the deposit slip; yes, their doors were open; no, I didn't need an appointment.

When I arrived at the bank, a teller named Bonnie apologized for my literally-seconds-long wait while she was helping a drive-through customer. I handed over the stack of checks and our most recent bank statement and held my breath, sure I had forgotten to bring some key information. But she congratulated me on preparing everything perfectly, printed out my receipt, and said if the "back office" found any discrepancies in my math, they'd contact me (no call yet!). 

Then, with a smile, she thanked me for my business. 

We will be sticking with BB&T.


No comments:

Post a Comment