Sunday, December 27, 2020

Stinking up the joint

There's an exact type of gym top that I like to wear when I'm exercising, and it's tough to find because (just my luck) the manufacturer, Athleta, has moved on to other styles. Don't they know who I am?! So I keep an eye on eBay and whenever one pops up in my size, I bid on it. 

So I purchased one a few weeks ago, and when it arrived it was in fine shape, except for a foul odor. It wasn't the usual locker-room funk. No, I think it was an overdose of some kind of fabric softener or clothing deodorizer. The stench was almost overwhelming. 

I tried low-tech remedies, like hanging it out on the clothesline in the wind and rain, laundering it repeatedly, and soaking it in vinegar and baking soda. The odor may have lessened slightly, but I still had to quarantine it from my other clothes so they didn't become contaminated.

A friend recommended hydrogen peroxide, which she uses to get skunk smell out of one of her mishap-prone dogs. I didn't really want to try that, as the garment tag said not to use bleach.

So I went online and discovered that smelly secondhand purchases are common and troublesome to resolve; it seems the offending chemicals are often stubbornly adherent to the fabric. A smell-lifting "laundry enhancer" made by a Florida company called Enviroklenz received universally positive reviews, even from people with chemical sensitivities, so I've ordered some. It hasn't yet arrived, but I did receive a call from their customer service people thanking me for my order. I'm inclined to like this company. I'll let you know how the laundry product works!

No comments:

Post a Comment