Sunday, March 24, 2013

The more the merrier

An equestrian pal of mine was delighted when her trainer returned from Aiken this past week. She arranged to meet her for lunch at Hood's on Friday for a serious, one-on-one chat about her horse's proposed training program for the spring.
Well! She should have known that wasn't going to happen. First a foxhunting friend of hers showed up. Then I showed up. It became eminently clear to her that this was NOT a particularly good spot for a quiet working lunch.
I even offered to sit at a separate table -- I'd brought a couple of days of the Wall Street Journal, hoping to catch up on my reading -- but my friend, resigned to her fate, invited me to pull up a chair. Of course, the four of us ended up having an entertaining conversation.
As I left, she and her trainer were standing outside scheduling a time when they could talk the next day. On the phone. Without interruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment