Thursday, August 1, 2019

THEATER: "The Producers"

The Brandywiners did a terrific job with "The Producers," their annual performance at Longwood Gardens. The acting, music, and dancing were wonderful, and what fun to see a gym friend all gussied up as a Swedish bombshell!
My qualms about the evening came from the bad language and mean-spiritedness that permeated the play. Of course, I knew the subject matter was about two guys who put on a Broadway show so tasteless it was "guaranteed" to flop, so I was troubled, but not surprised, when Nazis, swastika banners and sequined swastika armbands showed up on stage. And like all Mel Brooks shows, everything's exaggerated for effect. Yes, I laughed, but not without a touch of queasiness.
I wasn't going to mention any of this in my column, fearing I'd sound like a politically correct snowflake. Also, Dearest Partner was still repeating some of the lines days later ("Walk this way!") and roaring with laughter.
But then a fellow who is distinctly more urbane than I am told me that he too was disturbed by the choice of play, in particular the misogyny and the gratuitous cursing. ("There were kids in the audience!" he said.) He questioned whether "The Producers" was a good fit for the usual Longwood audience.
We'll give the Brandywiners another chance next year, when they bring "Ragtime" to the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment