Tuesday, November 12, 2019

UNIONVILLE: Not doing business as Chantilly Corp.

First thing Tuesday morning I received an odd email purportedly from a Unionville friend inviting me to sign up for a networking service so that he could start sending me business referrals. Time was of the essence: the invitation was good for only 24 hours!
I immediately smelled a rat. To start with, he is a creative fellow and certainly would have come up with a better business name than "Chantilly Corporation." Second, I would have heard had he moved to Toledo, Ohio, where Chantilly was supposedly headquartered.
I emailed him and alerted him that his name was being bandied about in cyberspace. He confirmed that it was a fake and apologized for the spam. When I ran into him later that morning at the Unionville post office, I greeted him as the CFO of Chantilly. He told me the bogus message hadn't gone to just me but had circulated throughout his email list. The upside was that he was reconnecting with friends he hadn't heard from in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment