Tuesday, November 12, 2019

WEST MARLBOROUGH: Red, white, and blue milk

At my first newspaper back in 1980, all of us reporters doubled as photographers and had to carry our cameras at all times, even off-duty. Woe to the reporter who happened upon a fire or car accident and didn't promptly deliver a roll of film (black-and-white) to the newsroom!
I was reminded of those days on Tuesday, when I was driving home from an errand run and saw (a) a loose cow (b) in a cemetery (c) eating an American flag for lunch. Of course, I stopped and got the shot. It would have made our chief photographer howl with laughter and probably would have made page 1 the next day.
After taking the photo and uploading it to Facebook, I drove up the road and pulled into the driveway of the Upland Road farmette I thought was the cow's likely home. A man was standing there next to a turkey and some chickens.
"Your cow's in the cemetery," I announced.
He sighed, as if it wasn't the first time, and said he'd retrieve her.

A cow munches on an American flag at the old cemetery on Upland Road.




No comments:

Post a Comment