Thursday, March 19, 2020

SOCIAL MEDIA: Staying in touch

I'm sure most of my readers remember all too well the dark days following Sept. 11, 2001. The situation was constantly changing, and it seemed like anything could happen. You'd turn on the TV and steel yourself to hear something awful and unthinkable.
In this pandemic, there's still that gnawing sense of uncertainty, but for me social media have been a great help in staying connected. 
Even if we can't meet for coffee, breakfast or lunch (ouch!), I can still keep up with my Facebook buddies and how they're coping. On March 14 the Salt Lake City police department shared this funny post on Facebook: "SLCPD is asking all criminal activities/nefarious behavior to cease until further notice. We appreciate your anticipated cooperation in halting crime & thank criminals in advance. We will let you know when you can return to your normal criminal behavior."
Support groups are holding meetings online. Churches have uploaded videos to YouTube: so far I've watched Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and fundamentalist worship services, and even some soothing yoga chanting called Kirtan Kriya.
Twitter is full of photos and updates about students using remote learning (which the Young Relative reports is actually fun).
I've made a rule, though: no watching press conferences or news bulletins near bedtime. The one evening I did so, I had nightmares about tornadoes approaching Unionville.


No comments:

Post a Comment