Tuesday, March 17, 2020

SUPERMARKET: Not your usual shopping trip

I felt some trepidation going to the Kennett Giant today, but it was great to get out of the house. I stayed away from other customers and staff and found myself trying not to inhale when too close to somebody. In the vegetable aisle, I normally would have just stood next to my fellow shopper selecting green peppers; instead I waited at a distance for him to finish. I saw a friend buying boxes of Tastykakes for her tax-preparation workplace, and we carried on our conversation at the mandated distance. 
Some people -- I suppose they were reluctant to touch a grocery cart -- were balancing their groceries precariously in their arms, which posed a logistical problem for them when they arrived at the self checkout. 
Staffers were cleaning everything, from soup cans to the handles on the refrigerated cases.
The toilet paper and paper towel shelves were still empty, but the milk case was fully stocked.
There were no chicken thighs, nor ground beef of any leanness level, nor was there that delicious mixture of ground veal, pork and beef that I use for meatloaf. Instead I bought ground turkey and ground bison -- we'll see how it turns out!
My brother reported a similar supermarket experience. Our text exchange says it all:
Brother: Grocery shopping today was kinda like a treasure hunt today. Lots of looking around! But it felt good (in a strange way) when you found an interesting substitute for your usual choice.
Tilda: Writing Tilda is going to be a challenge, with no events to cover.
Brother: Plenty of Tilda items! I just gave you one!
Tilda: Inadequate. Give specifics of substitute foodstuff.
He responded with a photo of a bag of 100% Organic Durum Semolina Penne Rigate, "crafted in Italy."
Brother: Pasta was very difficult to find. I'm guessing the "crafted in Italy" made this brand rather undesirable.
Tilda: Excellent Tilda item!
Brother: Your welcome.
Tilda: You're.
Brother: Knew that was coming after I hit send!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment