Friday, November 30, 2012

Lotto cash

Like lots of other people, I fell prey to the lottery fever that gripped the country on Wednesday. I bought three tickets ($2 each; I had to ask) at Wegman's in Downingtown and was happy to see that the "Powerball" number on one of them was in fact 6, which I have considered my lucky number ever since I was enchanted as a youth by Patrick McGoohan, who starred as #6 in the old TV series "The Prisoner."

Well, sure enough, that was the only number that matched those drawn that evening! You get $4 for matching the Powerball number, which means I suffered a net loss of $2. And to think that they let me serve as the treasurer of a local nonprofit group!
I heard that the odds of being killed by a soda machine toppling over on you were less than the odds of winning the jackpot. It was fun, though, speculating what we'd do with the untold riches. I consoled myself the next morning by noting that even if I had won the full jackpot, I still wouldn't be the wealthiest person in West Marlborough. By far.
By the way, Wegman's has a great buffet. A pal was up in Exton for an appointment with her orthopaedic surgeon (why, yes, it was an equestrian injury!) and we met at Wegman's for lunch. We absolutely loved the Asian buffet. We each piled too much on our plates, thinking we'd take the rest home for dinner. That didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment