Tuesday, November 13, 2018

SHOPPING: Time-saving but isolating

Friends are raving about the time-saving grocery services that are springing up. You order online, and your groceries are either delivered to your door or you pick them up at the store.
Granted, I have more free time than many people do. But for me, going to the Giant is not only a shopping trip but a social occasion; I feel shortchanged if I don't run into somebody I know.
On Sunday, for instance, I saw three friends at the Kennett Giant. One told me her father's hometown, including a supermarket that had been in the family for three generations, was destroyed by the fires in California.
Another said tires had been slashed in a parking lot in downtown Oxford, and a police officer told her she was only one of many victims.
A third described how she broke her leg tripping over a stool. I told her she needs to come up with a better story, given that she's a serious athlete and does IronMan competitions. The guy next to us at the registers suggested that she should say she broke her leg halfway through a race but still finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment